Dear ABRF Members:
In recognition of National Volunteer Week, and on behalf of your Executive Board and Executive Director, Susan DeCourcey, I thank every one of our members for their continued commitment to the ABRF and all the volunteer work you do to support the advancement of core and research biotechnology laboratories. Your contributions of time, expertise and enthusiasm ensure the continued success of fulfilling on the ABRF’s mission, vision and goals. The work of the ABRF would not be possible without you!
If you are not currently active in the ABRF, one great way to network with your fellow ABRF members and to further develop your career is to participate in one of the various activities undertaken by your association. Given the breadth of things we do, you will no doubt find something that aligns well with your interests. Please look over the partial list of topics below. However, the best way to find something fulfilling is to send me an email indicating what you would be interested in doing with your colleagues. It can be related to any of the topics listed below or something developed organically. Also, the amount of time you choose to commit is totally up to you. You can participate in a discrete project with a defined end point, join a committee with a broader impact, or drive a research study.
Do any of these broad topics excite you? Are there others?
- Promote career development opportunities for our members
- Develop educational opportunities, at and outside the annual meeting
- Join with colleagues in your discipline to tackle common hurdles by joining a Research Group
- Be a voice for science advocacy
- Build relationships between ABRF and like-minded organizations
- Bring our journal JBT to the next level
- Make the role of cores in Scientific Rigor and Reproducibility stronger and more prominent
- Ask and answer technology-related questions through Research Group and Interest Network studies
- Be a technical reviewer for journals
- Strengthen and broaden ABRF-vendor relationships
- Broaden our membership
- Develop administrative resources
- Keep your peers informed and engaged through social media and our website
- Manage annual meeting logistics
I look forward to hearing from you.
Frances Weis-Garcia, ABRF President